Explain how the Project was Created
- Talk about JR and his artistic journey.
- Watch JR's TED Talk, announcing the launch of the Inside Out Project.
- Watch one of JR's movies such as Faces Places or Inside Out.
Talk about the Inside Out Project
The Inside Out Project was born from the endeavor of changing the world through art. It is a platform that helps people from all around the world to express a message that is important to them, using art.
Anyone can create what we call an “Action” about anything they want, anywhere in the world. More than 400,000 people have participated in 138 countries and territories.
Explain the process of creating an Action
1. Communities come together and craft a message such as:
- Celebrating their heritage in Peru
- Fighting for gender equality in Iceland
- Showing the faces of the 11M undocumented immigrants in the United States
- Fighting government censorship in Turkey
2. They then capture the portraits of all of the participants/people who stand behind the message.
3. The group leader sends the photos to the Inside Out Project Team who prints them and sends them back to the leader.
4. The community comes together to create these big portrait installations to spread the word about their message.
- Through the photos of the installations, the message travels the world.
- Through these Actions, you see that communities all over the world have similar interests and face similar issues as you.
- The impact is local but at a global scale